Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -StockFocus
Charles Langston:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 02:57:34
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Charles Langstonagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Zayn Malik’s Foot Appears to Get Run Over by Car During Rare Public Appearance
- Heat retire Udonis Haslem's No. 40 jersey. He's the 6th Miami player to receive the honor
- Does Teen Mom's Kailyn Lowry Want More Kids After Welcoming Baby No. 6 and 7? She Says...
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Ukraine’s Yastremska into fourth round at Australian Open
- Walmart managers to earn at least $128,000 a year in new salary program, company announces
- Pawn Stars Cast Member Rick Harrison's Son Adam Harrison Dead at 39
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Two Florida residents claim $1 million prizes from state's cash-for-life scratch-off game
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Wander Franco updates: Latest on investigation into alleged relationship with 14-year-old girl
- North Carolina school board backs away from law on policies on pronouns, gender identity instruction
- As Houthi attacks on ships escalate, experts look to COVID supply chain lessons
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Why is Ravens TE Mark Andrews out vs. Texans? Latest on three-time Pro Bowler's injury status
- Parents of Mississippi football player who died sue Rankin County School District
- Mariska Hargitay Reveals the Secret to Decades-Long Marriage With Peter Hermann
Recommendation
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
The Ravens are ready to give Dalvin Cook a shot, but there’s no telling what to expect
Russia will consider property confiscations for those convicted of discrediting the army
Trump’s attorney renews call for mistrial in defamation case brought by writer in sex-abuse case
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Prince Harry drops libel lawsuit against Daily Mail publisher
Wayfair lays off over 1,000 employees weeks after CEO told company to 'work longer hours'
Roxanna Asgarian’s ‘We Were Once a Family’ and Amanda Peters’ ‘The Berry Pickers’ win library medals